The Shoulder and Elbow Unit at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital is led by consultants who are each recognised as international experts in the management of conditions affecting the shoulder and elbow. The Unit aims to deliver world-class surgical care and rehabilitation for patients with complex shoulder and elbow pathology, underpinned by evidence-based medicine and undertaken in a multidisciplinary team environment.
The Unit is one of the largest in the country, with referrals to the service coming from throughout the UK. We cover all aspects of shoulder & elbow surgery, including routine and complex primary arthroplasty, revision arthroplasty, prosthetic joint infections, instability, and rotator cuff dysfunction.
The Unit is an established referral hub for primary and revision elbow replacements, and also has a large primary and revision shoulder replacement practice. The arthroplasty practice includes the management of prosthetic joint infections and has well-established pathways for the treatment of infected shoulder and elbow replacements.
Our Surgeons have extensive experience in the use of patient-specific guides and custom made implants using CAD-CAM technology in order to deal with complex deformities.
The Unit is a leader in the management and treatment of complex instability and has an inpatient rehabilitation facility.
Patients benefit from a multi-disciplinary approach with physiotherapists, occupational therapists, microbiologists, radiologists, rheumatologists, and a clinical nurse specialist.
- Native and prosthetic joint infection
- Periprosthetic fracture
- Primary and revision Shoulder replacement
- Primary and revision Elbow replacement
- Shoulder and Elbow reconstruction
- Primary and revision rotator cuff repairs and reconstruction including superior capsular reconstruction
- Tendon transfers
- Scapulothoracic and glenohumeral fusion
- Deformity correction
- Segmental and custom prostheses
- Complex fracture management
- Complex instability
- Inpatient rehabilitation
Information guides for common procedures in adults are available at the bottom of this page.
The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Trust (RNOH) receives clinical referrals to our specialist, tertiary neuro-musculoskeletal services from primary, secondary, and tertiary care institutions regarding both NHS and private patients.
From Monday 13th December 2021, the RNOH Shoulder and Elbow service have committed to using ‘PATHPOINT’, an electronic referral and pathway management system, for all Consultant-led referrals from secondary and tertiary care organisations.
General Practitioners should continue to refer to RNOH using the UK Electronic Referral System (ERS)- please see below.
PATHPOINT offers significant benefits to referrers:
- Secure, streamlined, electronic referral forms
- Receive updates and notifications in real-time
- Increased visibility of all referrals and triage outcomes
To submit a referral to Shoulder and Elbow Unit, please access the 'PATHPOINT' link (within your Secure hospital network) and follow the steps below:
1. Register with your personal NHS email address for a PATHPOINT account to manage your referral/s
2. Login to your account with your credentials by clicking the 'PATHPOINT' link
3. Input your referring organisation, and patient PID details
4. Click the drop down list of referral pathway forms and select "Tertiary Shoulder and Elbow Unit referral" and click "Go to referral form" to launch the form
5. Fill in all fields of the Tertiary Shoulder and Elbow Unit referral form and click "Save Tertiary Shoulder and Elbow Unit referral"
NB: You will receive notification emails to your NHS email account from PATHPOINT from the Shoulder and Elbow Unit with updates about the status of your referral if further information is required.
For further information on the PATHPOINT system, please click here
To give your feedback, or for any further questions, please email the relevant contact below:
Please note that, if you are a GP, an additional e-referral will need to be completed before the patient is seen.
Please look at the Unit referral criteria.
Please call 020 3947 0052
Please call 020 3947 0052
Patient Support Line
Amanda Denton, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Tel: 020 8385 3024
Shoulder and Elbow Unit. Direct telephone 0208 909 5107 / Fax 020 8385 3027
Stephanie Hyman, Tel: 020 3947 0052
Secretary to Mr Mark Falworth
Tel: 020 8385 3025
Secretary to Miss Deborah Higgs
Tel: 020 8909 5457
Secretary to Mr Addie Majed
Tel: 020 8909 5565
Secretary to Mr Will Rudge
Tel: 020 8909 5671
Secretary to Mr David Butt
Tel: 020 8909 5671
Secretary to Anju Jaggi / Amanda Denton
Tel: 020 8909 5727
Shoulder & Elbow Unit email
Shoulder, upper limb, joint replacement and rehabilitation
- Mr David Butt - Shoulder and elbow surgery, joint replacement, reconstruction and arthroscopy
- Mr Mark Falworth - Arthroscopic and open shoulder/elbow surgery. Primary/revision shoulder & elbow surgery including joint arthroplasty. Management of infected...
- Ms Deborah Higgs - Shoulder and elbow surgery, joint replacement, reconstruction and rehabilitation.
- Anju Jaggi - Consultant Physiotherapist. Recurrent atraumatic shoulder instability. Complex shoulder pain. Conservative management for rotator cuff insufficiency...
- Mr Addie Majed - Management of all acute and chronic shoulder and elbow conditions, including complex revision and reconstructive surgery.
- Mr Will Rudge - Shoulder, upper limb, joint replacement and rehabilitation
Information Guides for Adults
Shoulder and upper limb
See the full list of Patient Information Guides.