Veterans Covenant Hospital Alliance
The Veterans Covenant Hospital Alliance (VC HA) is a group of over 70 NHS acute hospitals and Health Boards which have volunteered to develop, share and drive the implementation of best practice that will improve UK Armed Forces veterans care.
RNOH is a Veteran Aware Hospital. RNOH has been awarded the GOLD AWARD from the MOD Employer Recognition Scheme, for our demonstration of full commitment to the Armed Forces Covenant. One of only 35 NHS trusts to gain GOLD.
- Access to treatment/services/care is fast tracked/prioritised
- Raise awareness of Veteran accessibility
- Signposting / keeping up-to-date with relevant available services i.e. Veteran’s Mental Health transition, intervention & liaison service
- Encouraging transition from HM forces into healthcare roles
- Recognising & Supporting RNOH workforce who are veterans
- Collaborations with key support charities such as SSAFA
- Being Veteran aware (attending key annual MOD events)
Please follow this link https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-armed-forces-bill-passed-in-parliament to the Government’s announcement on the Armed Forces Act, which gained Royal Assent in Parliament on the 16 December 2021. It enshrines the Armed Forces Covenant in law for the first time to help prevent service personnel and veterans being disadvantaged when accessing essential services like healthcare, education and housing.
The VCHA accreditation process is the framework to support Trusts compliance with the Armed Forces Covenant and the updated Armed Forces Bill. The VCHA has been working with the government in creating guidance for the updated Armed Forces Bill in relation to healthcare.