Mr Mark Falworth
- Shoulder, upper limb, joint replacement and rehabilitation
- Specialist clinical interests:
- Arthroscopic and open shoulder/elbow surgery. Primary/revision shoulder & elbow surgery including joint arthroplasty. Management of infected shoulder & elbow arthroplasty.
- Research interests:
Primary and Revision Rotator Cuff Repair, Superior Capsular Reconstruction, Complex Shoulder instability, Shoulder arthritis, Primary and Revision Shoulder Replacement, Shoulder Arthroscopy, Recurrent ACJ instability, Sports injuries, Elbow Instability, Elbow Arthritis, Primary and Revision Elbow Replacement, Management of Infected Shoulder and Elbow Arthroplasty, Computer Aided Surgery and Patient Matched Instrumentation.
- Professional profile:
Mr Falworth’s practice at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital is solely limited to the management of shoulder and elbow conditions. His practice is based on the multidisciplinary approach to the surgical and non-surgical treatments of the shoulder and elbow. All treatments are evidence-based and reflect the exacting standards that Mr Falworth and his other colleagues at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital adhere to.
Mr Falworth qualified in Medicine from King’s College Hospital, London in 1996. His higher specialist orthopaedic training was undertaken on the St Mary’s Hospital (North West Thames) rotation where he gained extensive experience in shoulder and elbow surgery before undertaking more specialist training at The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore under the guidance of Ian Bayley. He then undertook just under two years of further specialist fellowship training in shoulder and elbow surgery.
Mr Falworth was appointed as a Consultant Orthopaedic Shoulder and Elbow Surgeon to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (RNOH) in 2006. At the RNOH, Mr Falworth provides a comprehensive service covering all aspects of shoulder and elbow surgery including providing a significant revision service to other orthopaedic surgeons throughout the UK. All aspects of shoulder and elbow surgery are undertaken, including complex shoulder and elbow instability surgery, rotator cuff repair surgery (including superior capsular reconstruction) and primary & revision shoulder and elbow replacement surgery. He is widely published in the orthopaedic research literature as well as being the author of several textbook chapters related to shoulder and elbow surgery. He has pioneered techniques in computer-aided surgery and is a regularly invited speaker at national and international scientific meetings and instructional courses.
Mr Falworth was the Clinical Lead to the Shoulder and Elbow Unit at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital from 2012 to 2017. He was elected as Treasurer-elect to the British Elbow and Shoulder Society (BESS) in 2017 and is also an elected member of BESS Council. He is a co-author of the BESS Guidelines for both the Management of Shoulder & Elbow Prosthetic Joint Infection and also the Provision of Primary and Revision Elbow Replacement in the UK.
- Shoulder & Elbow Surgery Fellow; Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore
- AO Trauma / Shoulder Surgery Fellow; Salzberg, Austria; Dr H. Resch
- Sports Surgery and Arthroplasty Fellow; Sportsmed.SA, Adelaide, Australia
- British Elbow and Shoulder Society Travelling Fellow; Dr Burkhart (San Antonio) and Dr Romeo (Chicago)
- British Elbow and Shoulder Society (BESS)
- European Society for Surgery of the Shoulder & Elbow (SECEC / ESSSE)
- British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
- Royal College of Surgeons, England (RCS)
- Hospital Consultants and Specialists Association (HCSA)
- British Medical Association (BMA)
- General Medical Council (GMC)