Consultant in Metabolic Bone Diseases
NHS Contact Details
Telephone: +44 (0)20 3947 0056
Additional contact information: Telephone option #3
Osteoporosis and metabolic bone disease. Fibrous dysplasia. Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva. Hyophosphatasia. Osteogenesis Imperfecta. Osteoporosis. Paget’s disease. Vitamin D deficiency. X-linked hypophophataemic rickets.
- Novel treatments for patients with rare bone diseases.
- Developing care pathways.
- Medical education
Dr Keen graduated from St Mary’s Hospital Medical School in 1988. After his general professional training in London and Sheffield, he started specialist training in Rheumatology at Northwick Park. He then moved to work with Professor Tim Spector at St Thomas’ Hospital, London. He was awarded a Clinical Research Fellowship by Arthritis Research UK, and completed his PhD examining the genetic epidemiology of postmenopausal osteoporosis. He was appointed to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in 1999. Dr Keen is Director of the Metabolic Bone Disease Centre and heads a team involved in the clinical care of patients with a wide range of bone diseases.
Dr Keen holds a number of key national and international appointments. These include:
- International Executive Council on Clinical Care and Treatment of Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva
- Adult Metabolic Bone Disease lead for the Musculoskeletal GeCIP Domain of the 100,000 Genome Project run by NHS England
- Panel member for the James Lind Alliance, examining unmet clinical need and research priorities in metabolic bone diseases.
- Medical Advisory Board member of the Brittle Bone Society
Dr Keen graduated from St Mary’s Hospital Medical School in 1988.
- American Society of Bone and Mineral Research
- Bone Research Society
- British Society of Rheumatology
- National Osteoporosis Society
- Royal College of Physicians of London
- Royal Society of Medicine
- Mantick N, Bachman E, Baujat G, Brown M, Collins O, De Cunto C, Delai P, Eekhoff M, Zum Felde R, Grogan DR, Haga N, Hsiao E, Kantanie S, Kaplan F, Keen R, Milosevic J, Morhart R, Pignolo R, Qian X, di Rocco M, Scott C, Sherman A, Wallace M, Williams N, Zhang K, Bogard B. The FOP Connection Registry: Design of an international patient-sponsored registry for Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva. Bone. 2017 Aug 30. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kaplan FS, Andolina JR, Adamson PC, Teachey DT, Finklestein JZ, Ebb DH, Whitehead B, Jacobs B, Siegel DM, Keen R, Hsiao E, Pignolo RJ. Early clinical observations on the use of imatinib mesylate in FOP: A report of seven cases. Bone. 2017 Jul 20 [Epub ahead of print]
- Di Rocco M, Baujat G, Bertamino M, Brown M, De Cunto CL, Delai PLR, Eekhoff EMW, Haga N, Hsiao E, Keen R, Morhart R, Pignolo RJ, Kaplan FS. International physician survey on management of FOP: a modified Delphi study. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2017 Jun 12;12(1):110
- Wallace G, Cro S, Doré C, King L, Kluzek S, Price A, Roemer F, Guermazi A, Keen R, Arden N. Associations Between Clinical Evidence of Inflammation and Synovitis in Symptomatic Knee Osteoarthritis: A Cross-Sectional Substudy. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2017;69(9):1340-1348
- Arden NK, Cro S, Sheard S, Doré CJ, Bara A, Tebbs SA, Hunter DJ, James S, Cooper C, O'Neill TW, Macgregor A, Birrell F, Keen R. The effect of vitamin D supplementation on knee osteoarthritis, the VIDEO study: a randomised controlled trial. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2016;24(11):1858-1866.
- Fotiadou AN, Calleja M, Hargunani R, Keen R. Skeletal Manifestations of Osteogenesis Imperfecta. Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2016;20(3):279-286.
- Kerns JG, Gikas PD, Buckley K, Shepperd A, Birch HL, McCarthy I, Miles J, Briggs TW, Keen R, Parker AW, Matousek P, Goodship AE. Evidence from Raman spectroscopy of a putative link between inherent bone matrix chemistry and degenerative joint disease. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2014;66(5):1237-46.
- Mani-Babu S, Wolman R, Keen R. Quadriceps traumatic myositis ossificans in a football player: management with intravenous pamidronate. Clin J Sport Med. 2014;24(5):e56-8.