Consultant cardiologist with an expertise in Risk Assessment, Pharmacotherapies, Research and Heart Failure.
Dr Bakhai is a renowned cardiologist and researcher with wide expertise in lifestyle, cardiac risk factors, cardiovascular disease and prevention, angina and heart attacks with expertise in advanced heart failure, atrial fibrillation/flutter, valvular heart disease and atypical chest pain with research interests in large cardiac registries and trials, cost-effectiveness and quality of life.
He undertakes ward rounds, heart improvement clinics, coronary angiography, permanent pacing, echocardiography, student education, appraisals, audits and research. He is a member of UCL partners task forces in heart failure, atrial fibrillation and stroke prevention and is also an NHS London clinical leadership group member for end of life care.
Dr Bakhai is recruiting to major international trials of new cardiovascular, cholesterol lowering, blood pressure lowering and blood thinning drugs, devices and pathways of care.He is a scientific advisor to NICE, health technology appraisal, pharma and device manufacturer companies and clinical trials organisations.
Dr Bakhai trained at St Bartholomew’s, St Mary’s, Royal Brompton, Beth Isreal Deaconess and Royal Free Hospitals. He did a scholarship year at Harvard Clinical Research Institute and Harvard School of Public Health.
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology
- Fellow of the Heart Failure Association of the ESC
- Member of the European Society of Hypertension
- Member of the British Society of Heart Failure
- Cost-effectiveness of sirolimus-eluting stents for treatment of complex coronary stenoses results from the sirolimus-eluting balloon expandable stent in the treatment of patients with de novo native coronary artery lesions (SIRIUS) Trial, DJ Cohen, A Bakhai, C Shi, L Githiora, T Lavelle, RH Berezin, MB Leon, Circulation 110 (5), 508-514
- Beyond Restenosis Five-Year Clinical Outcomes From Second-Generation Coronary Stent Trials, DE Cutlip, AG Chhabra, DS Baim, MS Chauhan, S Marulkar, J Massaro, Circulation 110 (10), 1226-1230
- Drug-eluting stents: an early systematic review to inform policy, RA Hill, Y Dündar, A Bakhai, R Dickson, T Walley, European heart journal 25 (11), 902-919
- Can we afford to eliminate restenosis? Can we afford not to? D Greenberg, A Bakhai, DJ Cohen, Journal of the American College of Cardiology 43 (4), 513-518
- Economic evaluation of bivalirudin with provisional glycoprotein IIB/IIIA inhibition versus heparin with routine glycoprotein IIB/IIIA inhibition for percutaneous coronary interventionresults from the REPLACE-2 trial, DJ Cohen, AM Lincoff, TA Lavelle, HL Chen, A Bakhai, RH Berezin, Journal of the American College of Cardiology 44 (9), 1792-1800
- Coronary artery stents: a rapid systematic review and economic evaluation, R Hill, A Bagust, A Bakhai, R Dickson, Y Dündar, A Haycox, RM Mota, NIHR Evaluation, Trials and Studies Coordinating Centre (UK)
- Immediate versus deferred coronary angioplasty in non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndromes, RK Riezebos, E Ronner, E Ter Bals, T Slagboom, PC Smits, JM ten Berg, Heart 95 (10), 807-812
- Cost Effectiveness of Paclitaxel-Eluting Stents for Patients Undergoing Percutaneous Coronary RevascularizationResults From the TAXUS-IV Trial, A Bakhai, GW Stone, E Mahoney, TA Lavelle, C Shi, RH Berezin, Journal of the American College of Cardiology 48 (2), 253-261
- Conducting economic evaluations alongside multinational clinical trials: toward a research consensus, SD Reed, KJ Anstrom, A Bakhai, AH Briggs, RM Califf, DJ Cohen, American heart journal 149 (3), 434-443
- Clinical trials: A practical guide to design, analysis, and reporting, Remedica
- Comparison of Bayesian model averaging and stepwise methods for model selection in logistic regression, D Wang, W Zhang, A Bakhai, Statistics in medicine 23 (22), 3451-3467
- Fondaparinux versus Enoxaparin in non–ST-elevation acute coronary syndromes: Short-term cost and long-term cost-effectiveness using data from the Fifth Organization to Assess Strategies in Acute Ischemic Syndromes Investigators (OASIS-5) trial, MJ Sculpher, G Lozano-Ortega, J Sambrook, S Palmer, O Ormanidhi, American heart journal 157 (5), 845-852