The department runs a range of services alongside the anaesthetic management of complex orthopaedic procedures. It is a consultant led service with twenty seven consultants and eight specialist registrars. The British Society of Orthopaedic Anaesthetists was inaugurated at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in 1996.
The service provides peri-operative care for a wide range of procedures including spinal deformity and injury, paediatric orthopaedics, bone tumour surgery, brachial plexus and peripheral nerve surgery, and revision joint replacement surgery. Regional blockade and peripheral nerve blocks are commonly used and maintained postoperatively for analgesia.
- Dr Kate Adams - Paediatric anaesthesia, simulation co-ordinator
- Dr Kofi Agyare - Resuscitation, Intensive Care, Scoliosis surgery
- Dr Rob Anker - Intensive care and joint reconstruction
- Dr Rachel Baumber - Intensive Care, vascular access and tumour surgery
- Dr Jan Cernovsky - Paediatric anaesthetist, Scoliosis surgery
- Dr Mogera Chandra - Clinical Director, regional anaesthesia for upper limb
- Dr Ben Clevenger - Paediatric anaesthetist, Pre-operative assessment
- Dr Michael Cooper - Paediatric anaesthesia and tumour surgery
- Dr James Cremin - Pre-Assessment, regional anaesthesia for lower limb
- Dr Mary Fennelly - Intensive care and Scoliosis surgery
- Dr Tacson Fernandez - Chronic Pain Medicine: Management of neuropathic pain states, Persistent post surgical neuropathic pain, Complex regional pain syndrome,...
- Dr Paul Flynn - Pre-Assessment lead
- Dr Micheal Gunning - Clinical Governance, Intensive Care and Vascular Access
- Dr Tali Heymann
- Dr Matthew Henley - Chronic Spinal Injury, Clinical Audit
- Dr Kunil Joshi
- Dr Jasmeet Kaur - Blood transfusion and Spine Surgery
- Dr Ramprabu Krishnan - Paediatric anaesthetist/Vascular Access/Audit Lead
- Dr John McGrath - ITU Lead, Intensive care and Vascular Access, Equipment Lead
- Dr Dan Mihaylov - Pain arising from the spine (e.g. back pain, neck pain). Pain associated with spinal surgery. Neuropathic pain due to nerve injury. Pain arising from...
- Dr Sean Nadaraja - Clinical Lead for Pathrology Services. Clinical Lead for Anaemia. Pre-Assessment & lower limb arthroplasty.
- Dr Prasan Panagoda - Pre-Assessment, Scoliosis surgery
- Dr Jim Parry
- Dr Vijayaraghavan Ramesh - Critical incidents, lower limb arthroplasty, spinal surgery
- Dr Faisal Salim - Clinical Lead, Intensive care, Paediatric anaesthetist, vascular access, Scoliosis surgery
- Dr Maria Sebastian - Regional anaesthesia, Acute Pain
- Dr Alexander Sell - Regional Anaesthesia and Intensive care
- Dr Sanjeevan Shanmuganathan - Regional anaesthesia, Acute Pain
- Dr Ruby Sharma - Joint reconstruction
- Dr Melanie Speakman - Paediatric anaesthesia/Lead for Paediatric High Dependency
- Dr Emily Spence
- Dr Julie Taylor - Lead Paediatric anaesthetist
- Dr Roxaneh Zarnegar - Regional anaesthesia, Neuropathic pain, Rehabilitation for chronic pain related disability, Paediatric chronic pain and transition to adult care.
Information Guides for Adults
See the full list of Patient Information Guides.