Consultant Orthopaedic and Spinal Surgeon
Degenerative Spine Surgery and Spinal Injury
Complex adult degenerative disease and deformity, minimal access spinal surgery, computer navigated spinal surgery, tumours - primary and metastatic, trauma and spinal cord injury, infection.
Minimally invasive techniques, computer navigated spinal surgery, management of post-operative spinal infections, metastatic spinal disease.
Mr Lee studied medicine at UCL Medical School and completed a BSc in Orthopaedics at the RNOH, with research into degenerative intervertebral discs. Having trained as a specialist registrar on the North West London rotation (including several years at the RNOH), he completed the Vancouver Combined Neurosurgical and Orthopaedic Spine Fellowship in Canada. He was appointed as a consultant spine surgeon in Vancouver in 2010 and took up his current post at the RNOH in 2012. He also trained in Bordeaux (endoscopic microdiscectomies) and has completed certified North American training in kyphoplasty and disc arthoplasty.
During his time in Vancouver he developed his expertise in computer navigated spine surgery (O-arm and stealth navigation) and has performed hundreds of cases using this novel technology. Some of his cases have been published in the scientific literature, one of which has awarded the Jacques DuParc award at a European scientific conference (EFORT 2012).
His work as a spinal surgeon in Stanmore routinely involves all areas of the spine and in particular highly complex cases that have been referred from centres around the UK. This includes degenerative, deformity, infection, tumour and trauma work. He specialises in minimally invasive fusions and decompressions with the emphasis on preservation of the paraspinal musculature and fast rehabilitation.
- 1996: B.Sc. (1st Class honours): Orthopaedic Science with Basic Medical Sciences. Awarded Faculty of Life Sciences Silver Medal
- 1999: MBBS (1st Class honours) with three distinctions, Fitton Prize in Orthopaedics and Proxime Accesit to the University of London Gold Medal
- 2003: MRCS - Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- 2008: FRCS (Tr and Orth) - Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- 2010: Vancouver Combined Neurosurgical and Orthopaedic Spine Fellowship
- 2010: CCT (Certificate of Completion of Training) and Entry onto Specialist Register
- British Association of Spinal Surgeons (BASS)
- AO Spine
- General Medical Council (GMC)
- Medical Defence Union
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Lee RS, Reed D, Saiffudin A: Correlation between coronal misbalance on plain radiographs and neuroaxial abnormalities on MRI - European Spine Journal 2012 21(6):1106-1110.
- Lee RS, Noonan VK, Batke J, Ghag A, Paquette S, Boyd MC, Fisher C, Street J, Dvorak M, Kwon B: Feasibility of Patient Recruitment into Clinical Trials of Novel Neuroprotective Treatments for Acute Spinal Cord Injury – awaiting publication in Journal of Clinical Neuroscience.
- Schouten R, Lee RS, Boyd MC, Kwon BK, Paquette S, Dvorak MF, Fisher C, Street J: Utility of Intra-operative Cone-Beam Computed Tomography (O-ARM) and Stereotactic Navigation in Acute Spinal Trauma Surgery – awaiting publication in Journal of Clinical Neuroscience.
- Lee RS, Dooley JF: Intrathoracic Dislocation of the Inferior Pole of the Scapula Following Thoracotomy – awaiting publication in Acta Chirurgica Belgica.
- Vidayan S, Bartlett W, Lee RS, Ostler P, Blunn GR, Cannon SR, Briggs TWR: Use of irradiated autologous bone in joint sparing endoprosthetic femoral replacement tumor surgery – Indian Journal Orthopaedics. March 2011 Vol 45(2) 161-67.
- Dunne N, Lee RS: Mixing and Management of Acrylic Bone Cement –Orthopaedic Product News, Feb 2008: 60-62.
- Lee RS, Weitzel S, Eastwood DM, Monsell F, Pringle J, Cannon SR, Briggs TWR: Osteofibrous Dysplasia. The need for a radical surgical approach – JBJS(B), May 2006 Vol 88-B(5):658-64.
- Lee RS, Kayser MV, Ali SY: Calcium phosphate microcrystal deposition in the intervertebral disc – Journal of Anatomy, Jan 2006 208(1):13-9.
- Lee RS, Langstaff RJ: Entrusting patients with their own plain radiographs increases their availability in fracture clinic – Injury, Dec 2005 36(12):1413-5.
- Haddo O, Higgs D, Lee RS, Pringle J, Cannon SR, Briggs TWR: Not all sacral tumours are chordomas. JBJS Sept 2004 Vol 86-B(Supp III): 256.
- Lee RS, Higgs D, Pringle J, Haddo O, Briggs TWR: Osteosarcoma associated with Diamond-Blackfan anaemia: a case of a child receiving growth hormone therapy. Sarcoma, March 2004 Vol 8(1): 47-49.