Consultant Paediatric and Limb Reconstruction Surgeon
Paediatric orthopaedics, adult and paediatric congenital deformity correction and limb reconstruction.
Peter Calder is a Consultant Paediatric and Limb Reconstruction Surgeon. He was appointed as a Consultant at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in January 2005 and began practicing at the Portland Hospital for Women and Children in February 2006. He also undertakes clinics at Treloar School and College for people with physical disabilities.
Mr Calder treats children with all non-spinal orthopaedic conditions including hip disorders, neuromuscular conditions, feet disorders and limb deformity correction and limb lengthening in both congenital and acquired conditions. He also sees adult patients with limb deformity including shortening, mal-union and non-union of fractures. He has extensive experience in external frame techniques including both the Ilizarov and Taylor Spatial Frames.
He qualified from St Bartholomew’s Hospital in 1993. He undertook his general surgical training on the St Bartholomew’s basic surgical rotation before becoming a Specialist Orthopaedic Registrar on the Royal London training programme. During this period his interest in Paedictric Orthopaedics and in particular limb reconstruction began under the tutorship of Mr Mark Paterson and Mr Matthew Barry. He undertook the National Paediatric Orthopaedic Fellowship based at Great Ormond Street Hospital under Mr Robert Hill and the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital with Miss Deborah Eastwood and Mr Hashemi-Nejad. He also underwent a Masters Ilizarov Fellowship at the International Reconstructive Centre in Kurgan, Russia the origin of the Ilizarov ring external fixator.
He has published in peer review journals on paediatric and limb reconstruction topics including several chapters in Orthopaedic textbooks. He is frequently invited to lecture on courses both for paediatric conditions including deformity correction and external fixation application. He is a member of the British Society for Children’s Orthopaedic Surgery and the British Limb Reconstruction Society.
Peter Calder qualified from St Bartholomew’s Hospital in 1993. He undertook his general surgical training on the St Bartholomew’s basic surgical rotation before becoming a Specialist Orthopaedic Registrar on the Royal London training programme
- Oxford Textbook of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Second Edition
Oxford University Press, 2011
- Section Editor; Infection, Amputation, and Prostheses
Chapters: Chronic long bone osteomyelitis – Peter Calder
Miscellaneous orthopaedic infections – Sally Tennant and Peter Calder
Amputations and prostheses – Rajiv S. Hanspal and Peter Calder
Acute osteomyelitis – Peter Calder
Septic Arthritis – Peter Calder
Management of the limb deficient child – Peter Calder and Rajiv S. Hanspal
- Operative Orthopaedics; The Stanmore Guide
Hodder Arnold Publishers, 2010
Limb Reconstruction Chapter – Robert Jennings, Peter Calder
- The Stanmore Guide to Basic Sciences
Hodder Arnold Publishers, 2007
Genetics Chapter – Calder PR, Hashemi-Nejad A
- A Mosaic Activating Mutation in AKT1 Associated with the Proteus Syndrome
Lindhurst MJ, Sapp JC, Teer JK, Johnston JJ, Finn EM, Peters K, Turner, J, Cannons JL, Bick D, Blakemore L, Blumhorst C, Brockmann K, Calder P et al
The NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL of MEDICINE 2011, Vol 365; No 7: 611-619
- The “Good, Bad and Ugly” pin site grading system. A reliable and memorable method for documenting and monitoring ring fixator pin sites
Clint SA, Eastwood DM, Chasseaud M, Calder PR, Marsh DR
Injury 2010 ; 41(2) :147-150
- Lengthening of the congenital short femur using the Ilizarov technique
Aston WJS, Calder PR, Baker D, Hartley J, Hill RA
J Bone Joint Surg (Br) 2009; 91-B : 962-967
- The use of Tranexamic acid to reduce blood loss during Total Hip Arthroplasty: An observational study.
Hynes M, Rosenfeld P, Calder PR, Scott G
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2005; 87: 99-101
- Short-term results of hemi-resurfacing for osteonecrosis of the femoral head.
Calder PR, Hynes MC, Scott G
Hip International 2004; 14: 174
- Reducing missing fracture clinic radiographs by entrusting them to patients.
Calder PR, Hynes M, Goodier WD
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2004; 86: 342-343
- FRCS (Trauma and Orthopaedics)…the final hurdle.
Calder PR, Hynes M
Ann R Coll Surg Engl (Suppl) 2003; 85: 321-323
- The use of tranexamic acid to reduce blood loss during total knee arthroplasty.
Hynes MC, Calder PR, Scott G
The Knee 2003; 10: 375-377
- Diaphyseal forearm fractures in children treated with intramedullary fixation:
Outcome of K-wire versus Elastic Stable Intramedullary Nail.
Calder PR, Achan P, Barry M
Injury 2003; 34: 278- 282
- Assessment of the efficacy of Proguard RR-2 radio-protective gloves during forearm manipulation.
Calder PR, Tennent TD, Allen PW
Injury 2003; 34: 159-161
- Increasing administrative efficiency of an Orthopaedic firm using a handheld computer.
Calder PR, Goldie BS
Ann R Coll Surg Engl (Suppl) 2001; 83: 302-303
- The Operative Management of Displaced Intra-articular Fractures of the Calcaneum: A Two Centre Study Using a defined Protocol.
Tennent TD, Calder PR, Salisbury RD, Allen PW, Eastwood DM
Injury 2001; 32: 491-496
- Assessment of outcome of percutaneous epiphysiodesis for leg length discrepancy.
Tennant S, Tingerides C, Calder PR, Hashemi-Nejad A, Eastwood D
JBJS 2006; 88-B; Supplement III:436
- Computed Tomography in DDH, can it be used as a prognostic tool?
Calder PR, Ramachandran M, Hill, Jones DHA
JBJS 2006; 88-B; Supplement I:122
- Forearm derotational osteotomies for congenital proximal radioulnar synostosis
Ramachandran M, Lau K, Calder PR, Jones DHA
JBJS 2006; 88-B; Supplement I:127
- Anatomical considerations and limitations of wire placement using the Taylor Spatial Frame
Hawkins R, Calder PR, Goodier D
JBJS 2006; 88-B; Supplement I;170
- Open fractures in children; a five year review.
Calder PR, Reidy J, Crone D, Paterson JMH, Barry M
JBJS 2005; 87-B; Supplement III:394
- The cost implications of new specialised implant technology in surgically treating paediatric forearm fractures. Are K-wires too cheap?
Achan P, Calder PR, Barry M
JBJS 2004; 86-B Supplement III: 298
- Intramedullary fixation of forearm fractures comparison of elastic nails or K-wires.
Barry M, Calder PR, Achan P
JBJS 2003; 85-B Supplement III: 274
- Is scatter radiation exposure reduced significantly by radiprotective gloves during orthopaedic procedures?
Calder PR, Tennent TD, Allen PW
JBJS 2001; 83-B Supplement II: 184
- Osteogenesis Imperfecta Review
Manoj Ramachandran, Pramod Achan, Peter Calder, David Jones
Accepted for emedicine.com Sep 04
- Pediatric Fractures and Dislocations by Lutz von Laer
Book review for Injury, accepted May 2004
- Review questions in orthopaedics by Wright, Millet, Crocket and Craig
Book review for the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 2002; 84-B, 1089
- A-Z of Orthopaedic Radiology by Burnett, Taylor and Watson
Book review for the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 2001; 83-B, 755