Consultant, London Spinal Cord Injury Centre
Spinal cord injury and Trauma rehabilitation
Specialist rehabilitation of Spinal cord injury due to Polytrauma, Tumours (primary and metastatic), and Cauda Equina Syndrome patients.
Musculoskeletal interventions in SCI patients.
Management of complex spasticity including use of Botulinum Toxin and ITB. Rehabilitation of spinal injured patients with MSCC/malignant tumors. Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation.
- Ongoing clinical research on Outcomes of specialist rehabilitation of spinal cord Tumours, Cauda Equina Compression and Epidural Abscess/Discitis
- Post SCI Shoulder pain
- Musculoskeletal problems (low back pain and shoulder dysfunction) in Acute and chronic spinal Cord Injuries
- Depression following Spinal Cord Injury
- Brain-Computer interface and use of EAT in “Locked in Syndrome”.
Consultant in Spinal Injuries and Rehabilitation Medicine at London SCIC and Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore (June 2012 onwards).
From 1995 - 2004 I worked as Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, and came to UK for further advanced training in Orthopaedics, especially Spinal and Joint replacement surgery. I worked in Orhopaedics and Trauma units in different hospitals in UK from 2004 to 2007.
I was awarded NTN and joined National Training Programme for Rehabilitation Medicine at Northern Deanery (International Centre for Neurological Rehabilitation and Neuropsychiatry, Walkergate Park, Newcastle Upon Tyne) from December 2007-2011, and successfully achieved CCT in Rehabilitation medicine.
I worked as
- Acting up consultant in Neurological Rehabilitation from January 20011 to May 2011,
- Full time consultant in Trauma and Neurological Rehabilitation at University Hospital of North Staffordshire, Stoke on Trent, from January 20122 to June 2012
Mr Desai is a member of the rehabilitation medicine specialist training committee and British Association of Spine Surgeons.
Mr Desai graduated from the Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, India and following specialty training in Northern Deanery, became Consultant at the London Spinal Cord Injury Centre in 2012.Mr Desai is a member of Speciality Advisory Committee and appointed by BSRM, and Royal College Of Physicians.
- Royal College of Physicians, London
- British Society of Rehabilitation Medicine
- European Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- London Cancer Network
- Headway - Newcastle upon Tyne (2008-2011)
- Habitual dislocation of Patella in Knee disarticulation stump in a patient of congenital Type 1 deficiency of Tibia – A case report- Journal Paediatric Orthopaedics B, 18:339-340, 2009
- Clinical outcome of Dynesys spine stabilization system in degenerative lumbar Spine Disorders– SICOT/SIROT XXIV Triennial World Congress 24-28 August 2008
- Clinical outcome of Proximal Humerus Fractures treated with Halder Humeral Nail- SICOT/SIROT XXIV Triennial World Congress 24-28 August 2008
- Refractory Holmes’ Tremor in case of Midbrain and Proximal Brainstem infarct – challenge in Neurological rehabilitation – a case report – Journal of Movement Disorders (special edition), June 2008
- Comparative Study of Rigid Versus Dynamic Spine Stabilization (DYNESYS) for Degenerative Lumbar Spine disorders- Journal Of Orthopaedics 2007;4(3)e7
- Refractory Holme’s Tremor in Traumatic Brain Injury. - A case report on Use of Lycra splint. Published in Movement Disorder journal, June 2011 (special edition)
- Postgraduate Thesis: “950 Condylar Blade Plate Fixation” in Extra-articular fractures of lower third of Femur.