Mr Manish Desai
- Consultant in Spinal Injuries and Rehabilitation Medicine
- Spinal Deformity and Injury
- Specialist clinical interests:
- Management of complex spasticity including use of Botulinum Toxin and ITB. Rehabilitation of spinal injured patients with MSCC/malignant tumors. Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation.
- Research interests:
- Musculoskeletal problems (low back pain and shoulder dysfunction) in Acute and chronic spinal Cord Injuries
- Depression following Spinal Cord Injury
- Brain-Computer interface and use of EAT in “Locked in Syndrome”
- Professional profile:
Consultant in Spinal Injuries and Rehabilitation Medicine at London SCIC and Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore (June 2012 onwards).
From 1995 - 2004 I worked as Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, and came to UK for further advanced training in Orthopaedics, especially Spinal and Joint replacement surgery. I worked in Orhopaedics and Trauma units in different hospitals in UK from 2004 to 2007.
I was awarded NTN and joined National Training Programme for Rehabilitation Medicine at Northern Deanery (International Centre for Neurological Rehabilitation and Neuropsychiatry, Walkergate Park, Newcastle Upon Tyne) from December 2007-2011, and successfully achieved CCT in Rehabilitation medicine.
I worked as
- Acting up consultant in Neurological Rehabilitation from January 20011 to May 2011,
- Full time consultant in Trauma and Neurological Rehabilitation at University Hospital of North Staffordshire, Stoke on Trent, from January 20122 to June 2012
- Education and training:
I completed my medical degree (MBBS) in 1990, from Government Medical College, Vadodara, Gujarat, India( WHO recognised), completed one year of compulsory internship (House Officer/FY1 training) and joined 4 years of postgraduate SpR training to obtain degree qualification in Trauma and Orthopaedics, from 1991- 1994 at Government Medical College, Vadodara, Gujarat, India, affiliated with 1600 bedded SSG General and Teaching Hospital. I was awarded Master of Surgery degree in Trauma and Orthopaedics, equivalent to FRCS Trauma and Orthopaedics.
- Postgraduate and undergraduate Teaching and training
- Member of TPMC for Rehabilitation Medicine
- Royal College of Physicians, London
- British Society of Rehabilitation Medicine
- European Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- London Cancer Network
- Headway - Newcastle upon Tyne (2008-2011)
- Habitual dislocation of Patella in Knee disarticulation stump in a patient of congenital Type 1 deficiency of Tibia – A case report- Journal Paediatric Orthopaedics B, 18:339-340, 2009
- Clinical outcome of Dynesys spine stabilization system in degenerative lumbar Spine Disorders– SICOT/SIROT XXIV Triennial World Congress 24-28 August 2008
- Clinical outcome of Proximal Humerus Fractures treated with Halder Humeral Nail- SICOT/SIROT XXIV Triennial World Congress 24-28 August 2008
- Refractory Holmes’ Tremor in case of Midbrain and Proximal Brainstem infarct – challenge in Neurological rehabilitation – a case report – Journal of Movement Disorders (special edition), June 2008
- Comparative Study of Rigid Versus Dynamic Spine Stabilization (DYNESYS) for Degenerative Lumbar Spine disorders- Journal Of Orthopaedics 2007;4(3)e7
- Refractory Holme’s Tremor in Traumatic Brain Injury. - A case report on Use of Lycra splint. Published in Movement Disorder journal, June 2011 (special edition)
- Postgraduate Thesis: “950 Condylar Blade Plate Fixation” in Extra-articular fractures of lower third of Femur.