Mr Craig Gerrand
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Clinical Lead for Cancer, RNOH
- Specialist clinical interests:
- Bone and soft tissue tumour surgery, bone and soft tissue sarcoma, metastatic bone disease
- Research interests:
The diagnosis and surgical management of bone and soft tissue sarcoma and metastatic bone disease, clinical trials in sarcoma, rehabilitation, survivorship, and surgical outcomes. He has written theses on soft tissue sarcoma and innovation in the NHS.
- Professional profile:
Mr Gerrand qualified from the University of Edinburgh in 1989. He completed his higher surgical training in Glasgow and undertook fellowships in Orthopaedic Oncology and Lower Limb Reconstruction at the Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto. He was appointed as a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon to the Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in 2001 and in 2018 joined the Sarcoma team at RNOH.
- Education and training:
- MB ChB, University of Edinburgh,
- FRCSEd (Trauma and Orthopaedics)
- MD, University of Edinburgh.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Biomechanics, University of Strathclyde.
- MBA Newcastle University Business School (with distinction).
- President and trustee of British Sarcoma Group 2016 to date
- Chair of NCRI Bone Sarcoma Studies Subgroup 2015
- Vice-Chair Specialist Commissioning Sarcoma Clinical Reference Group 2013-16
- Bone Cancer Research Trust Trustee and Scientific Advisor 2010-5
- President British Orthopaedic Oncology Society 2005-2008
- Clinical Lead North of England Bone and Soft Tissue Tumour Service 2015-18
- Sarcoma advisory group chair, North East Clinical Network 2015-18