The RNOH believes that volunteers can make a big contribution towards enhancing our services and improving patient experience. Volunteers can bring a variety of skills, experiences, and enthusiasm, and the Trust offers many meaningful and valuable roles.
The majority of our volunteer roles will not require previous experience or specific skills as training and induction will be given. Aptitude and the willingness to learn are what we are looking for!
We have a variety of patient facing and administration roles available for volunteers aged 18+
- Administration Support Volunteers provide administrative assistance to busy services and departments within the hospital.
- Mealtime Buddy Volunteers support patients during their lunch or dinner to encourage eating and drinking. For more information, read the Volunteer Mealtime Buddy advert.
- Outpatient Support Volunteers assist, escort and direct visitors and patients, providing information about facilities and services (at both our Stanmore and Bolsover Street sites).
- Patient Group Volunteers advocate the patient voice and provide feedback through ward liaison, inspections and Board reports.
- Pharmacy Delivery Support Volunteers collect and deliver medicines for patients throughout the hospital.
- Photography volunteer with a passion for photography to encourage, support and teach a class for once a month on our Spinal Injury Unit (SIU). For more information, read the Volunteer SIU Photography job description.
- Therapies Patient Liaison volunteers welcome and support patients in the physiotherapy reception waiting area, assisting them to complete questionnaires and surveys.
- Ward Visitor Volunteers provide company and conversation to our inpatients on adult wards.
- Ward Shopper Volunteers run shopping errands to the hospital’s confectionery shop for patients who are unable to get to the shop themselves.
- Other Charity and Volunteer Liaison Support - the RNOH supports other charities and voluntary organisations operating on its Stanmore site. Find out more via our Other Services page.
These are just some of the volunteer roles currently offered at the RNOH – new opportunities are being developed regularly.
We are proud of our diverse community of volunteers who each have a unique background of skills and life experience. This diversity has enabled us to provide specialist services to patients including arts and craft therapy, photography workshops, and guided meditation sessions. If you have a specialist skill that could benefit our patients and/or staff, we would love to hear from you (we are particularly keen to hear from hairdressers and beauty therapists).
Speak to one of our friendly team today about how we can match your skills and experience to the perfect volunteer role!
Why volunteer at the RNOH?
As a volunteer with the RNOH you will benefit from the following:
- Opportunity to volunteer at one of the leading specialist orthopaedic hospitals in the world
- Improve the experiences of our patients and visitors
- Gain skills and practical experience working with people
- Structured and relevant training for the role
- References provided upon completion of four consecutive months of volunteering
- Reimbursement of travel expenses
- Uniform provided.
How to apply
- Take a look at our current volunteering opportunities (listed above).
- Read our Volunteer Recruitment Guide for information about the recruitment process
- Click the button below to apply for a volunteer role. You will be redirected to our online application system called Better Impact.
The Trust is committed to ensuring equality and diversity in its voluntary services and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We particularly welcome applications from people with disabilities. Please note: We only accept applications from those aged 18+ years.
Frequently Asked Questions
For further information, see our frequently asked questions page or contact the team.
Contact Volunteer Services
For more information or to request a role description and application form, please contact the team at:Volunteer Services
Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital
Tel: 0208 909 5394
|Volunteer for SIU Photography job description||238.77 KB|
|RNOH Volunteer Recruitment Guide||7.76 MB|