Musculoskeletal (MSK) conditions incorporate over 200 different disorders, which affect bones, joints, muscles as well as soft tissue. These conditions affect children, the young and elderly, often bringing pain to sufferers with great impact on their quality of life. MSK conditions impact more people than any other condition and take up more GP consultation hours, work sick days and hospital in-stay days than any other illness.
Care, compassion and patients’ needs are at the centre of our academic work. We want to make a difference; the breakthroughs we want to make are centred on those values because we know there are real people with real needs at the receiving end of what we do.
Research is not just about finding a cure, which can be years, and perhaps life time away, but finding ways to improve the lives of patients so they can live fulfilling lives now.
No amount is too small, and any help is appreciated. Your donation will be used to improve the lives of our patients and enable us to explore new ways to treat musculoskeletal conditions.
Examples of our research:
- Stem cell treatments for non-healing fractures and tendon damage.
- Metal on metal implants why they fail and how can they be improved
- Improving diagnosis and care for sarcomas.
- Improving treatments of scoliosis
Example of research funded by RNOH Charity:
- Rotator cuff tendon degeneration – looking at cell therapy treatments (early phase study)