The Shoulder and Elbow Unit at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital is led by consultants who are each recognised as international experts in the management of conditions affecting the shoulder and elbow. The Unit aims to deliver world-class surgical care and rehabilitation for patients with complex shoulder and elbow pathology, underpinned by evidence-based medicine and undertaken in a multidisciplinary team environment.
The Unit is one of the largest in the country, with referrals to the service coming from throughout the UK. We cover all aspects of shoulder & elbow surgery, including routine and complex primary arthroplasty, revision arthroplasty, prosthetic joint infections, instability, and rotator cuff dysfunction.
The Unit is an established referral hub for primary and revision elbow replacements, and also has a large primary and revision shoulder replacement practice. The arthroplasty practice includes the management of prosthetic joint infections and has well-established pathways for the treatment of infected shoulder and elbow replacements.
Our Surgeons have extensive experience in the use of patient-specific guides and custom made implants using CAD-CAM technology in order to deal with complex deformities.
The Unit is a leader in the management and treatment of complex instability and has an inpatient rehabilitation facility.
Patients benefit from a multi-disciplinary approach with physiotherapists, occupational therapists, microbiologists, radiologists, rheumatologists, and a clinical nurse specialist.
Range of Services
- Native and prosthetic joint infection
- Periprosthetic fracture
- Primary and revision Shoulder replacement
- Primary and revision Elbow replacement
- Shoulder and Elbow reconstruction
- Primary and revision rotator cuff repairs and reconstruction including superior capsular reconstruction
- Tendon transfers
- Scapulothoracic and glenohumeral fusion
- Deformity correction
- Segmental and custom prostheses
- Complex fracture management
- Complex instability
- Inpatient rehabilitation
Information guides for common procedures in adults are available at the bottom of this page.
Referrals for total elbow replacement, periprosthetic fractures and infected arthroplasty are accepted from GPs and hospital doctors using these referral forms.
Please note that, if you are a GP, an additional e-referral will need to be completed before the patient is seen.
Please look at the Unit referral criteria
Consultants - Specialist Interests
- Clinic Appointments
- Please call 020 3947 0052
- Please call 020 3947 0052
- Patient Support Line
- Amanda Denton, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Tel: 020 8385 3024
- Shoulder and Elbow Unit. Direct telephone 020 8909 5726 / Fax 020 8385 3027
- MDT Coordinator
- Bhavini Patel, Tel: 020 3947 0052
- Secretary to Mr Mark Falworth
- Tel: 020 8385 3025
- Email: email@example.com
- Secretary to Miss Deborah Higgs
- Tel: 020 8909 5457
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary to Mr Addie Majed
- Tel: 020 8909 5565
- Email: email@example.com
- Secretary to Mr Will Rudge
- Tel: 020 8909 5671
- Email: Laura.Coultry@nhs.net
- Secretary to Anju Jaggi / Amanda Denton
- Tel: 020 8909 5727
- Email: Stephanie.Hyman@nhs.net
Information Guides for Adults
Shoulder and upper limb
|Unit referral criteria||106.01 KB|