Professor Tim W R Briggs
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Director of Strategy and External Affairs
- +44 (0)2089 095 573
- +44 (0)2089 095 532
- Sarcoma, hip and knee replacement, rehabilitation and cartilage transplantation
- Specialist clinical interests:
- Bone and soft tissue sarcomas. Complex hip and knee surgery. Complex revision hip and knee surgery. Cartilage transplantation.
- Research interests:
- PDT for sarcoma
- Metal ion studies
- Injuries in rugby players
- Cartilage transplantation techniques
- Reconstruction of bone sarcomas
- Professional profile:
Appointed as Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in 1992.
- Education and training:
Training Programme Director for the RNOH/Royal Free training programme with 60 trainees.
- Two arthroplasty fellowships, one with Stoke Mandeville and one with West Herts.
- Three research fellows.
- Awards and Prizes:
- AO Travelling Fellowship (1991)
- ABC Travelling Fellowship (1998)
- Hunterian Professorship, Royal College of Surgeons (September 2006)
- Robert Jones Lecturer, BOA Meeting (2008)
- President of British Orthopaedic Association
- Education Committee, British Orthopaedic Association
- Training and Curriculum Committee, British Orthopaedic Association
- Examiner for Intercollegiate Board (FRCS Orth)
- Member of SAC, Royal College of Surgeons
- President of The Harpur Science Forum
- Trustee of SCAT (Skeletal Cancer Action Trust)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
- Editorial Board, Journal of Arthroplasty
- Member of Specialist Orthopaedic Alliance
- Chairman, Federation of Specialist Hospitals
- Scientific Advisor, Advisory Board, Furlong Foundation
- President of British Orthopaedic Oncology Society
- Council Member, British Orthopaedic Association
- Chairman, Clinical Working Group, RNOH
Use of irradiated autologous bone in joint sparing endoprosthetic femoral replacement tumour surgery. Vijayan S, Bartlett W, Lee R, Ostler P, Blunn G, Briggs T. (Indian J Orthop, 2011, Mar; 45(2), 161-7.
Proximal humeral replacement using a fixed-fulcrum endoprosthesis. Griffiths D, Gikas P, Jowett C, Bayliss L, Aston W, Skinner J, Cannon S, Blunn G, Briggs T, Pollock R. (JBJS Br. 2011 Mar; 93(3), 399-403.
Use of metal proximal radial endoprostheses for treatment of non-traumatic disorders: a case series. Gokaraju K, Miles J, Parratt T, Blunn G, Pollock R, Skinner J, Cannon S, Briggs T. (JBJS Br. 2010 Dec; 92(12), 1685-9.
Custom Cementless THA in patients with skeletal dysplasia results in lower apparent revision rates than other types of femoral fixation. Sewell M, Hanna S, Muirhead-Allwood S, Cannon S, Briggs T. (Clin Orthop Rel Res. 2011 May; 469(5), 1406-12.
Earlier diagnosis of bone and soft tissue tumours. Grimer R, Briggs T. (JBJS Br. 2010 Nov; 92(11), 1489-92.
Modular proximal femoral replacement in salvage hip surgery for non-neoplastic conditions. Sewell M, Hanna S, Carrington R, Pollock R, Skinner J, Cannon S, Briggs T. (Acta Orthop Belg. 2010 Aug; 76(4), 493-502.
Use of endoprosthetic diaphyseal replacement: a novel approach to management of extensive metastatic tumour of the midshaft radius. Macmull S, Gokaraju K, Miles J, Blunn G, Cannon S, Briggs T. (Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 2010 Sep; 14(3), 183-6.
Current strategies for knee cartilage repair. Kalson N, Gikas P, Briggs T. (Int J Clin Pract. 2010 Sep; 64(10), 1444-52.
Custom-made endoprostheses for the femoral amputation stump: an alternative to hip disarticulation in tumour surgery. Kalson N, Gikas P, Aston W, Miles J, Blunn G, Pollock R, Skinner J, Briggs T, Cannon S. (JBJS Br. 2010 Aug; 92(8), 1134-7.
Femoral diaphyseal endoprosthetic reconstruction after segmental resection of primary bone tumours. Hanna S, Sewell M, Aston W, Pollock R, Skinner J, Cannon S, Briggs T. (JBJS Br. 2010 Jun; 92(6), 867-74.