Consultant Spine Surgeon
Degenerative Spine Surgery and Spinal Injury
Adult degenerative spine disease and Spine deformity. Trauma and spinal cord injury.
Farhaan Altaf qualified from St. Bartholomew’s and the Royal London Hospital Medical School in 2002. He received the Jackson Burrows and Moreton Prize for Outstanding Academic Achievement as a medical student. He trained on the North West Thames London rotation and achieved his completion of training in 2015.
Before taking up a consultant post at the RNOH, he undertook further subspecialist fellowships: one-year Spinal Fellowship at the Vancouver General Hospital in Canada and a one-year Spinal Fellowship at the Royal Northshore Hospital in Sydney, Australia. He also worked as a fellow for three months in Lyon, France.
He has published in multiple peer-reviewed journals and presented at numerous national and international meetings.
- General Medical Council (GMC)
- British association of Spine Surgeons (BASS)
- Medical Protection Society (MPS)
- Adult Degenerative Lumbar Scoliosis. Wong E, Altaf F, Oh LJ, Gray RJ. Orthopaedics. 2017 Jun 9:1-10.
- Mean Arterial Blood Pressure Management of Acute Traumatic Spinal Cord Injured Patients during the Pre-Hospital and Early Admission Period. Tee JW, Altaf F, Belanger L, Ailon T, Street J, Paquette S, Boyd M, Fisher CG, Dvorak MF, Kwon BK. J Neurotrauma. 2017 Mar 15;34(6):1271-1277
- An Evidence-Based Review and Survey of Expert Opinion of Reconstruction of Metastatic Spine Tumors. F Altaf, M Weber, N Dea, S Boriani, C Ames, R Williams, JJ Verlaan, I Laufer, CG Fisher. Spine. 2016 Oct 15;41 Suppl 20:S254-S261
- The differential effects of norepinephrine and dopamine on cerebrospinal fluid pressure and spinal cord perfusion pressure after acute human spinal cord injury. F Altaf, DE Griesdale, L Belanger, L Ritchie, J Markez, T Ailon, MC Boyd, S Paquette, CG Fisher, J Street, MF Dvorak, BK Kwon. Spinal cord. 2016 Jun 7. (Epub ahead of print)
- Minimally invasive surgery in adult degenerative scoliosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis of decompression, anterior/lateral and posterior lumbar approaches. K Phan, YH Huo, JA Hogan, J Xu, A Dunn, SK Cho, RJ Mobbs, P McKenna, T Rajagopal, F Altaf. Journal Spine Surgery. 2016;2(2):89-104.
- Clinically orientated classification incorporating shoulder balance for the surgical treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. HB Elsebaie, Z Dannawi, F Altaf, A Zaidan, M Al Mukhtar, MJ Shaw, A Gibson, H Noordeen. European Spine Journal. 2016 Feb;25(2):430-7.
- Percutaneous pars interarticularis screws fixation: a technical note. LF Wilson, F Altaf, P Tyler. European Spine Journal. 2016 Jun;25(6):1651-4.
- Back pain in children and adolescents. F Altaf, MK Heran, LF Wilson. Bone Joint J. 2014 Jun;96-B(6):717-23.
- Prospective study of posterior lumbar interbody fusion with either interbody graft or interbody cage in the treatment of degenerative spondylolisthesis. A Sivaraman, F Altaf, A Jalgoankar, R Kakkar, PBR Sirigiri, A Howieson, RJ Crawford. Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques. 2013 Jul 23.
- Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. F Altaf, A Gibson, Z Dannawi, H Noordeen. British Medical Journal. 2013;346:f2508.
- Early results of a remotely-operated magnetic growth rod in early-onset scoliosis. Z Dannawi, F Altaf, NS Harshavardhana, H El Sebaie, H Noordeen. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Br). 2013;95-B(1):75-80.
- Osteochondroma of C1 causing vertebral artery occlusion. F Altaf, Movlok H, Brew S, Rezajooi K, Casey A. British Journal of Neurosurgery 2013 Feb;27(1):130-1.
- Severe brachial plexus injuries in rugby. F Altaf, K Manna, P Bharania, MD Sewell, L Di Mascio, M Sinisi. Injury 05/2011; 43(3):272-3.
- Repair of spondylolysis using compression with a modular link and screws. F. Altaf, NA Osei, E Garrido, M Al-Mukhtar, C Natali, A Sivaraman, H Noordeen. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery (Br). 2011 Jan;93(1):73-7.
- Minimizing complications with single submuscular growing rods: a review of technique and results on 88 patients with minimum two-year follow-up. N. Farooq, E. Garrido, Altaf. F, Dartnell, J, Shah. SS, Tucker. SK, Noordeen H. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010 Dec 1;35(25):2252-8.
- A case of Necrotising Fasciitis caused by pseudomonas aeruginosa.A.Lota, F. Altaf, R. Shetty, R. Courtney, P. McKenna, S. Iyer Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery (Br). 2010 Feb; 92(2): 284-5.
- Skip laminectomy and laminoplasty for cervical spondolytic myelopathy: A prospective study of clinical and radiological outcomes. A. Sivaraman, AK. Bhadra, F. Altaf, A. Singh, A. Rai, A. Casey, RJ. Crawford. Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques. 2010 Apr;23(2):96-100.
- Cerebral venous thrombosis post cervical disc arthroplasty. F. Altaf, N. Derbyshire, R. Marshall. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery (Br). 2010 April; 92(4): 576-8
- Severe brachial plexus injuries in rugby: Mechanisms and management. F. Altaf, K. Mannan, M. Sinisi, R. Birch. Injury Extra 01/2008; 39(5):206
- Minimal access non-instrumented pars interarticularis repair using rh-BMP-2. LF Wilson, F Altaf, R Hawkins. The internet journal of minimally invasive spinal technology. 01/2008; 1(2).
- Cyclical sciatica. Endometriosis of the sciatic nerve. K. Mannan, F. Altaf, S. Maniar, R. Tirabosco, M. Sinisi, T. Carlstedt. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery (Br). 2008;90-B:98-101
- Intradural repair of lumbar nerve roots for traumatic paraparesis leading to functional recovery. A. Sivaraman, F. Altaf, T. Carlstedt, H. Noordeen. Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques. 2008 Dec; 21(8): 553-6.
- Orthopaedic management of caudal regression syndrome. Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore. F. Altaf , W. Hakel, A. Sivaraman, H. Noordeen. European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology. 2008 Oct; 18(7):531-535.
- Spontaneous thrombosis of dissecting middle cerebral aneurysm. F. Altaf, S. Pushpananthan, S.M. Joshi, J.P. Wadley. British Journal of Neurosurgery. April 2007.
- Flashcards in Surgery. Medicine, and Practical procedures. Orthopaedics section. F. Altaf. Oxford university Press, 2010.
- Clinical Decision Support System on Spine Surgery. Chapter: Cervical flexion compression injuries. F. Altaf, C. Fisher, J Rihn, A Vacarro. Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Rothman Institute, Philadepphia, USA. University of British Columbia, Vancouver General Hospital, Canada. 2016.