Advice and Guidance for GPs
Advice & Guidance Services at RNOH
Advice and Guidance (A&G) allows one clinician to seek advice from another. Advice and Guidance is a communication between GP’s and RNOH consultants. A&G is a really useful mechanism that will help to reduce the number of inappropriate referrals into our services.
GPs may wish to seek Advice and Guidance from RNOH on the following areas:
- Seeking advice on the appropriateness of a referral for their patient (e.g. whether to refer or what the most appropriate alternative care pathway might be)
- Identifying the most clinically appropriate service to refer a patient to (and how to find that service – e.g. what clinical term to search on)
- Medication Advice for existing patients
- Past medical history? (significant and relevant to issue being discussed)
- Imaging undertaken (summaries or attach report if available)
The responding clinicians are able to review the request (along with any attachments that may have been added) and, if required, add attachments, such as a proposed treatment plan or links to external documents and websites, before sending a response back to the requester.
What are the benefits to GPs?
- It enables the practice to better manage their patients and ensures they are directed to the correct services that best meet their needs.
- Reduces the risk of a redirection or rejection of the referral and will better ensure that the correct services are offered to the patients.
- May enable the patient to be managed in a community setting with no need to refer to a secondary or tertiary care organisation.
Please help reduce the number of inappropriate referrals into our services by using our advice and guidance services. It is quick and easy to use.
Advice and Guidance is available via ERS.
Advice and guidance requests will be processed and responded to within two working days, where possible.
Please note that if an outpatient appointment is needed following an Advice and Guidance response, the GP must create a new referral and book via e-RS into the appropriate service.